Tuesday 6 March 2012

Autobiography in Five Chapters -excerpt from The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying


Chapter 1 

I walk down the street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk
I fall in.
I am lost … I am hopeless.
It isn’t my fault.
It takes forever to find a way out.
 

Chapter 2
I walk down the same street.
There is a hole in the sidewalk.
I pretend I don’t see it.
I fall in again.
I can’t believe I am in the same place.
But it isn’t my fault.
It still takes a long time to get out.
 

Chapter 3
I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I see it there.
I still fall in … it’s a habit
My eyes are open
I know where I am
It is my fault.
I get out immediately

Chapter 4
I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk
I walk around it.

Chapter 5
I walk down another street.


by Sogyal Rinpoche

This week in yoga class I have read this poem. It has moved many of you and I have heard how it has been passed around, shared amongst friends and even taking a chance and emailing it in the work place. It speaks about taking responsibility for what is happening in our lives, for our success and our happiness.

I hope you too will share it.

No comments:

Post a Comment